Old Mutual Limited: Leading Culture Change
(8 pages of text)
Karabo Morule is the managing director of Old Mutual Ltd. Personal Finance in South Africa. In June 26, 2018, she is leading a team through the company’s process of organizational change. The dilemma she faces is how to retain the heritage of a shared values-based culture, while also modernizing and strengthening it to express a new customer-led approach with the focal point in Africa. Old Mutual Ltd. is the largest financial services provider in Africa, and it is attempting to retain certain aspects of its culture, such as its core values of respect, integrity, and accountability, while changing other aspects of its culture to include being a champion of the customer, the power of diversity and inclusion, and trust, all amidst the major transition of its primary listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange as a Pan-African organization. The case documents the organizational change process, demonstrating culture and women in leadership as critical levers of a successful change process.
This case is suitable for graduate- and postgraduate-level students in leadership and organizational behaviour courses. After working through the case and assignment questions, students the opportunity to:
- Gain an understanding of the dilemma faced by leadership resulting from major changes to organizational structure, such as a break-up/unbundling.
- Analyze leadership style in relation to an organization’s culture change.
- Analyze how a changing business environment mandates cultural evolution in order to maintain alignment between the organizational culture and business needs of the firm.
- Apply organizational change concepts to the challenge of evolving organizational culture.
- Understand how a particular leadership style could help the organizational change process.
Finance and Insurance
South Africa, Large, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download