Google LLC: The Diversity Manifesto and Leader Candour (Simplified Chinese Version)
(9 pages of text)
Case (Pub Mat)
In August 2017, a memo written by an engineer at Google LLC (Google) was leaked to the public, revealing fractured communication and leadership at Google. Labelled an “anti-diversity manifesto” by its detractors, the memo set off a public controversy over the causes of gender disparities in tech and the limits of free speech within organizations. With ideological divisions across the company, open disdain expressed between colleagues, and the credibility of leaders at a low, the new vice-president of diversity needed to establish trust and candour among the employees and move the company forward.
The case can be used in undergraduate or graduate-level courses on leadership, diversity, inclusion, ethics, or trust in organizations. The case is especially suited to discuss leader communication, credibility, candour, and character. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Analyze the controversies associated with gender diversity and differences.
- Identify obstacles affecting work-related and leader communication.
- Understand the role of leadership and communication in divisive situations.
- Identify leadership strategies for building trust, credibility, candour, and psychological safety.
- Reflect on personal character in challenging leadership situations.
Information, Media & Telecommunications
United States, Large, 2017
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download