White Rock Skimboarding: Fighting the Changing Tides
(8 pages of text)
In August 2017, the owner of White Rock Skimboarding was considering several options for this summer business. He had started the business as a way to earn income while studying business at university. The company had enjoyed significant growth and success since its inception, but in August 2017, the owner was about to transition into a consulting position in another province. He was unsure as to what the future would hold for White Rock Skimboarding. He considered several options: maintaining the status quo, expanding to beaches in other areas, selling or transferring the business, or producing and selling custom skimboards.
This case can be used for an introductory-level general management module. Its comprehensive nature provides students with an opportunity to implement and practice the analytical skills they have developed. After completing this case, students will be able to do the following:
- Understand strategic decision making in an entrepreneurial business environment.
- Complete a business valuation.
- Examine internal and external factors, and connect these to potential business alternatives.
- Analyze several alternatives, both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Realize the human aspect of running a business alongside other life goals and circumstances.
- Make and justify a comprehensive, evidence-based business decision.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
Canada, Small, 2017
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download