Bidcorp Baltics: Contextually Intelligent Leadership of Entrepreneurial Food Services
(5 pages of text)
In October 2016, the chief executive officer of Bidcorp Baltics, a food services company operating in the three Baltic countries of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, faced a dilemma. He needed to decide whether to expand the warehouse depot in Lithuania or in another location, and whether the company should diversify into products other than fresh fish and seafood. Because the company was part of the larger Bid Corporation Limited group, headquartered in South Africa, he had scheduled a teleconference with the head office. His challenge was to present a persuasive case for the parent company’s capital investment in Bidcorp Baltics. What contextually relevant factors did the chief executive officer need to consider?
This case is suitable for courses in organizational development, organizational behaviour, leadership, and entrepreneurship at the graduate or post-graduate level. It offers contextual information on the three Baltic countries involved as well as the enablers and barriers to growth. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to
- understand contextually relevant factors in making a decision to expand a business;
- evaluate the contextual intelligence of a business leader;
- analyze entrepreneurial growth in emerging markets and make recommendations on the speed of expansion;
- identify enablers and barriers to entrepreneurial growth; and
- analyze innovation and ambidexterity in a firm.
Accommodation & Food Services
Estonia; Latvia; Lithuania; South Africa, Small, 2016
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download