MobilityWorks: Faster, Higher, Stronger
(6 pages of text)
In 2015, MobilityWorks, the largest mobility dealership and reformer of wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs) in the United States, found itself unable to cater to a large enough fraction of the population with limited mobility. With the baby boomers starting to retire, the gap was widening at a pace much faster than the growth of the WAV industry. How could MobilityWorks re-work its business strategy in order to grow across different market segments?
The case focuses on the challenges faced by a rapidly growing, mid-size business in an industry that addresses a crucial social need. The case can be used in courses on corporate strategy, general management, innovation and social entrepreneurship, and organizational behavior at the undergraduate or graduate level. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will understand the following concepts:
- How to focus on user needs and constraints as a means to enhance business growth.
- The role of government and public agencies in the high social impact business landscape.
- Constraints to rapid business growth.
- Factors that make employers attractive to the millennial generation.
- Challenges and opportunities shared by businesses with a high social impact.
Transportation and Warehousing
United States, Medium, 2015
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download