Bossard AG: Enabling Industry 4.0 Logistics, Worldwide
(8 pages of text)
In 2016, Bossard AG was a leading wholesaler and supply chain service provider for fasteners. Its business model aimed to improve the efficiency of clients’ manufacturing operations by applying Industry 4.0 technologies to integrate the delivery of the highest quality screws, nuts, and bolts with logistics solutions for supply chains, and technical solutions for product designs using fasteners. Bossard’s key selling point was its ability to enhance its clients’ consumable parts management, thus reducing their total costs of ownership. Bossard had been successful in Europe, but found the Chinese market difficult to penetrate. The company was looking for better ways to deliver value to Chinese industrial customers.
This case has been designed for advanced operations, business marketing, strategic management, and international business courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. After completion of this case, students will be able to
- explain the conversion of the trading and logistics industries, and the challenges arising from that conversion;
- explain how technology changes associated with Industry 4.0 (Industrial Internet of Things) are changing sourcing and operations;
- explain the challenges of internationalizing a business model that is based on local delivery of business services;
- develop a business model for integrated logistics solutions; and
- develop solutions for growing sales of business services in China.
Switzerland; China, Large, 2016
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download