Lockbox Social Inc.: Status Quo or SEO?
(6 pages of text)
In July 2016, the founder and president of Lockbox Social Inc., an American social media management company for real estate agents, was contemplating whether to offer search engine optimization (SEO) as a new product. He needed to decide whether to pivot his business to pursue SEO exclusively, include SEO with the current product mix, or stay with the status quo and reconsider SEO at a later date. How would the two products—social media management and SEO—meet his customers' needs? Would they provide a good fit with his business and personal goals? He also needed to determine how much to charge for SEO and whether the company's current pricing model was appropriate for social media management.
This case is suitable for undergraduate introductory business courses in a segment on marketing management. Students should be familiar with a marketing framework that includes product, price, placement, and promotional analysis. After completion of this case, students will be able to
- understand the most effective Internet marketing methods and terms to help real estate agents gain exposure on the Internet;
- assess how start-up businesses navigate the introduction phase of their product life cycle;
- identify and complete an industry analysis, a consumer analysis, and a competitive analysis;
- identify the strengths and weaknesses of a business to complete a corporate size-up; and
- develop a marketing plan to specifically address the product mix to be offered and how the products should be priced.
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
Canada, Small, 2016
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download