Agoda: People Analytics and Business Culture (A)
(10 pages of text)
In the spring of 2016, the chief executive officer of Agoda Company Pte. Ltd. (Agoda), a subsidiary of The Priceline Group, Inc., wanted to transform the firm’s human resource practices using data analytics. The idea was not just to get more data, but to use this data to help managers gain insights to make better decisions. The three main focal areas of this exercise were recruitment, performance evaluation, and compensation. As key executives worked at transforming Agoda into an organization that emphasized people and development, they faced various challenges related to collecting, managing, and leveraging large volumes of data.
This case has been designed for use at both the undergraduate and graduate level, and can be used in courses on human resources management, organizational culture, organizational design, data analytics, change, and leadership. Following the case discussion, students should be able to do the following:
- Identify the different ways that behavioural trace data can be used.
- Assess the effect of organizational culture on organizational functions and management practices.
- Analyze the downside of people analytics.
- Assess the potential effects of a change in human resources practices on employees.
- Identify the difficulties in implementing new systems.
- Discuss the balance between the need for transparency and the need for privacy.
- Understand and work to overcome issues that arise from converting human resources strategy to practice.
Information, Media & Telecommunications
Thailand, Large, 2016
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download