Pokémon GO: Game On!
(3 pages of text)
Supplement (Pub Mat)
This case is a supplement to Nintendo: Game On! Released in July 2016, Pokémon GO was a location-based virtual reality mobile game in which players needed to locate and capture virtual creatures from the Pokémon family. Although it was a revolutionary concept, would its release mark a change in Nintendo’s recent history of continuous decline in revenues and profits? Supplement for product 9B16M158
This case can be used in a strategy course or in a general management course. The position in the module should be linked with ideas on customer and industry evolution and the formation of strategy. Alternatively, the case can be used in a module on global strategy or one with a focus on Asian multinationals. Nintendo is a Japanese company that has earned more success in the West (Europe and the United States) than in Asian markets.
After completion of the case, students will be able to
- understand the history of a major international gaming company;
- deal with contemporary issues facing a company that has failed to adapt to many years of changes in customer preferences;
- understand how competition in the industry has also changed over time;
- examine the impact of competition and changing preferences on a company’s success; and
- analyze the decision the company must make about its future.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
Japan, Large, 2016
$2.55 CAD / $2.55 USD Printed Copy
$2.25 CAD / $2.25 USD Permissions
$2.25 CAD / $2.25 USD Digital Download