Developing Build Blox as an Entrepreneurial Venture
(5 pages of text)
The case, set in 2012 and 2013, follows two students enrolled in a business accelerator program who experience the uncertainty of creating an idea from an interesting sandbox, or broad problem space, (in this case, the construction industry) and then developing it into an innovative idea for a new business. The two students elicit a broad range of feedback from individuals in the construction industry and use that feedback to develop their venture idea. The case is process-focused in that there is not one right answer in terms of how the students should proceed with developing their idea. Instead, the case provides an opportunity to practise making decisions based on external feedback.
- To provide insight into the process whereby an entrepreneurial venture is developed.
- To demonstrate the decision-making process.
- To question whether the timing of decisions is correct.
- To decide what information to ignore in external feedback and what information to consider as being significant.
- To focus the scope of a project to make it effective for solving a particular problem.
- To visualize how a potential product will look and to be able to determine its necessary and unnecessary features.
Canada, Small, 2012
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download