Treks `n Rapids: Adventure Sports Tourism in India
(8 pages of text)
In September 2014, the co-founder and director of Treks `n Rapids, a leading adventure sports tourism company in New Delhi, India, needs to re-evaluate the company strategy. The adventure sports tourism industry has tremendous potential for growth in India, largely due to the number of young professionals with disposable incomes and a desire for new experiences, and is witnessing increased demand from a variety of profitable customer segments, both domestic and foreign, corporate and individual. However, the industry suffers from various problems such as poor infrastructure, the country’s negative image in the minds of customers (especially with regard to safety and quality) and a string of natural disasters. Should the company focus on its currently profitable local corporate sector or diversify into other areas and other types of tourism?
This case is suitable for use in MBA and other graduate-level management programs in courses on strategic management, services marketing, entrepreneurship, tourism management and management of small businesses. This case aims to achieve the following objectives:
- To understand strategy formulation by considering market opportunities and evaluating the resources and capabilities of the organization.
- To introduce participants to the tourism industry (adventure tourism in particular).
- To understand how to carry out industry analysis and evaluate industry attractiveness.
- To understand how government policies affect industries — both favourably and unfavourably.
- To identify appropriate criteria and to evaluate strategic alternatives against these criteria in order to design a consistent and coherent strategy for an organization.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
India, Small, 2014
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download