Facebook and WhatsApp: Acquire or Ally?
(7 pages of text)
Established in 2004, Facebook had shown stupendous growth. However, faced with the evolving mobile communication industry and increasing competition, the company was on the lookout to increase its user base by acquiring WhatsApp. Was it the right decision for Facebook to acquire WhatsApp — and at the steep price of $19 billion? From WhatsApp’s perspective, the company’s founder wanted to continue with his vision of connecting people, irrespective of the decision involving Facebook. Should WhatsApp sell its assets to Facebook or should it insist on an equity alliance instead?
- To understand the concept of industry dynamics (industry structure and forces of competition in an industry).
- To understand the phenomenon of mergers and acquisitions (advantages, risks, etc.).
- To examine the factors determining the appropriate choice of strategy for a company (i.e., acquisition or a strategic alliance both for the acquirer and the target company).
- To understand the relevance of integration in post-acquisition deals.
- To understand financial evaluation of a strategic move.
Information, Media & Telecommunications
United States, Medium, 2014
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download