Amisha Gupta's First Year at Work
(7 pages of text)
This case traces the various events that happen in the organizational journey of a newcomer to the corporate world. It is based on the real-life incidents of a new employee in a leading information technology (IT) services company, Xciting, in India. Xciting is one of India’s top IT and IT-enabled services companies, with offices around the globe. With revenues in excess of $6 billion in 2010 and a global headcount of around 100,000, Xciting is a popular and reputable company in the global software services industry.
The case covers the initial year of the employee’s work with Xciting, following college graduation. She undergoes a training period with examinations in order to determine an appropriate work domain and relocation destination within India. She experiences organizational culture shock and location anxiety, and must respond to difficult co-workers and cancelled projects. In September 2011, with the first yearly review approaching, she reflects on her journey at Xciting and has to decide on what she wants to do with her career. Is there a mismatch between her expectations and those of Xciting?
This case can be used in introductory MBA courses on organizational behaviour, human resource management and operations management (talent supply chain). It can be used to discuss the following issues in the context of newcomer socialization and onboarding:
- The transition of the identity of a newcomer from a student to a professional employee.
- The anxiety faced by a newcomer and the need for social support from the cohort of students or familiar people in the organization.
- Dealing with unexpected changes early in organizational life, such as cancelled projects and relocation.
- Generation Y perspectives on work and careers, and motivating Generation Y at the workplace.
- Hiring in large numbers and its consequences if poorly executed.
Information, Media & Telecommunications
India, Large, 2010-2011
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download