Mountain Dew: The Most Racist Soft-drink Commercial in History?
(6 pages of text)
PepsiCo faces criticism after releasing a series of online advertisements for Mountain Dew that featured an angry Mountain Dew–drinking goat, a battered white woman on crutches and the goat in a police lineup of all black men. Critics are offended by the advertisement’s portrayal of violence toward women and racial stereotypes. As the public outcry spreads, Mountain Dew’s senior brand manager needs to devise a course of action or risk damage to one of its billion-dollar brands.
You might also like: Abercrombie & #Fitchthehomeless, Abercrombie and Fitch, Domino’s Pizza
- To place students into the role of a brand manager.
- To understand the challenges and opportunities involved in marketing a billion-dollar consumer goods product.
- To evaluate the fine line to balance when attempting to be trendy and appealing to market audiences.
- To encourage students to consider the impact of branding decisions on diverse populations.
- To provide students with an opportunity to develop their analytic, strategic planning, communication and decision-making skills.
Accommodation & Food Services
United States, Large, 2013
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download