Mattel and the Toy Recalls (B)
(5 pages of text)
This case, which outlines the product recall, is a supplement to Mattel and the Toy Recalls (A).
This case can be used to discuss:
- The complexity of multinational operations, particularly the issues of (i) coordination and control, (ii) oversights in global supply chains, and (iii) knowledge management and organizational learning.
- The recall strategy and the various decisions involved in a recall situation.
- Strategic decision making.
- The stakeholders of a multinational corporation.
- The values and ethics a multinational corporation should follow.
The cases are appropriate for use in a number of undergraduate and graduate courses. They can be taught from a cross-enterprise perspective or from functional orientations, including:
- International management, to illustrate the complexities involved in managing global operations and the challenges of managing multiple stakeholders spread around the world.
- Strategic management, to illustrate strategic decision making by discussing the effects of decisions and techniques to handle them.
- Marketing and operations management, to illustrate issues surrounding product recalls and their effective management.
- Communications management, to illustrate the importance of communication in crisis situations.
United States; China, Large, 2007
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download