Warriors Gaming Squad: A Marketing Slam Dunk or a Long Shot?
(8 pages of text)
In April 2018, Hunter Leigh, the recently appointed head of esports for the Golden State Warriors (GSW), was in charge of developing a marketing communications strategy for the first season of the Warriors Gaming Squad, the first NBA 2K esports team to be geo-located and directly affiliated with the championship-winning GSW National Basketball Association team. The season was kicking off within a few weeks, and Leigh knew that his players and brand needed to perform for fans, not only on the virtual court, but also in the digital and physical market. He needed to quickly make choices about objectives, audiences, messaging, and media in order to successfully develop a large, loyal fan base.
This case is appropriate for advanced undergraduate- and graduate-level courses focused on marketing strategy, sports marketing, or marketing and brand management. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Discuss the overlap in developing a brand positioning within an organization with an existing strong reputation.
- Use a marketing communications model to generate a mission, market, and message.
- Explain how best to deliver a message by leveraging multiple platforms within a limited budget.
- Use social media platforms to leverage player resources and content, and gather useful metrics.
- Develop and map out a clear and concise one-page marketing communications plan.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
United States, Medium, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download