Greatwall Enterprise Institute: Exploring New Directions after Rapid Growth (Simplified Chinese version)
(9 pages of text)
In 1993, when the Chinese economy was in a major recession, Beijing’s Greatwall Enterprise Institute was founded by six consultants. The company eventually found its niche providing strategic and operational consulting to the governmental agencies (administrative committees) that managed science and technology parks. These agencies had witnessed explosive growth in China since the early 1990s. In 2019, with more than 350 consultants, headquarters in Beijing, 12 branch offices throughout China, and an annual revenue greater than ¥200 million (US$30 million), Greatwall Enterprise Institute faced new threats and opportunities: its success with so many government administrative committees meant that there was little room for it to grow in this area. The company wondered if it should expand to other local governments and their agencies in China. Or would business firm clients and the international market offer new opportunities?
The case can be used in both undergraduate- and graduate-level courses on international business, business in Asia, or business in China specifically, to illustrate strategic management. The case describes the macro environment—political and economic developments—that created the context within which Greatwall Enterprise Institute was founded and operated, and it offers a glimpse into the operations of a rapidly expanding firm in China’s lesser-known consulting industry. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to
- describe the evolution of China’s political economy, as marked by its major events, to appreciate both where China is coming from and where it is going;
- describe the key role played by the government in China’s economic development and firm operations;
- explain how both macro and micro factors affect firm performance in China;
- distinguish between emergent strategy and intended strategy; and
- develop and evaluate possible options for a firm’s future development.
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
China, Medium, 2019
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download