Wow! Momo: The Making of India’s Quick-Service Restaurant Giant
(9 pages of text)
Wow! Momo Foods Private Limited (Wow! Momo), a quick-service restaurant (QSR) chain, was a Kolkata-based start-up that sold a variety of momos, a Tibetan food. The restaurant’s specialty was a pan-fried variety of momos prepared to suit the Indian palate. In late 2018, the founders were reviewing the company’s financials and considering how they could improve the company’s growth. Their goal of becoming a widely recognized brand, both nationally and internationally, seemed elusive. How could Wow! Momo make momos a front-line fast food like pizza and burgers? Should they create a niche market, or should they seek to make Wow! Momo a mainstream fast food? And, ultimately, how could they first make Wow! Momo a national brand alongside other leading multinationals in India before expanding the business internationally?
This case can be used in undergraduate- and graduate-level courses on entrepreneurship, marketing strategy, advanced marketing management, or business leadership to illustrate a go-to-market plan and operational management of a fast-growing start-up. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Determine how a fast-growing start-up in the QSR industry can capture its market share in a highly competitive industry.
- Discuss the mix of owned and hired channels that a medium-scale start-up should employ to grow inorganically.
- Analyze the pros and cons for a regional food company expanding nationally when customers’ palates are diverse in tastes and preferences and accustomed to the strong presence of local cuisines.
- Create business strategies in a highly competitive environment, in an economy where low prices do not necessarily equate with value and high prices do not necessarily translate to premiumness.
- Identify and evaluate several strategic alternatives that Wow! Momo could pursue to exploit a strong market opportunity that is likely to solidify in the future due to emerging economic opportunities in India.
Accommodation & Food Services
India, Large, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download