The Walt Disney Company's Stock: Buy, Hold, or Sell?
(7 pages of text)
Case (Pub Mat)
A portfolio manager at Century 23 Investment Company was considering whether to maintain holdings in The Walt Disney Company (Disney). She was reviewing the recently released fourth quarter and full fiscal year earnings report of Disney and comparing the results against those of key competitors, including Netflix Inc., Comcast Corporation, and Viacom Inc. She examined financial statements, ratios, valuation metrics, and financial forecasts, to find a potential connection between financial performance and stock prices. After considering the investment strategy adopted by her investment company—identifying and investing in stocks that showed consistent earnings growth above broad market levels while also trading at a reasonable price—the investment manager had to decide whether or not to maintain the holdings.
This case has been designed for use in finance courses at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Specifically, it can be used to analyze financial statements, introduce and analyze financial ratios, and introduce and analyze valuation metrics. The case could be used in either a corporate finance or investments course. After completion of this case and assignment questions, students will be able to
- examine key criteria related to stock investments;
- understand a company’s business, operating strategy, and financial performance as well as the industry in which it operates;
- evaluate a company’s performance using financial statements, financial ratios, and valuation metrics;
- compare a company’s performance with its peer group and analyze its growth prospects; and
- identify the key factors that drive stock prices and to develop an investment thesis.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
United States, Large, 2019
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download