Chimelong Ocean Kingdom: A Sustainable Competitive Advantage? (Simplified Chinese Version)
(6 pages of text)
Case (Pub Mat)
The case discusses the rapid success and competitive challenges of Guangzhou Chimelong Group Co. Ltd.’s (Chimelong's) marine-based recreational theme park, Chimelong Ocean Kingdom. The theme park was one of the biggest in China and had won several awards for its size and programs, but Western players such as the Walt Disney Company were expanding into China, and several smaller marine-based theme park players were entering the market, posing the threat of imitation to Ocean Kingdom. How should the theme park compete against leading multinationals and burgeoning Chinese domestic players? Could Ocean Kingdom sustain its competitive advantage against these players?
After completing the case and answering the assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Examine theme parks as products and understand the threat of imitation.
- Critically explore the factors associated with the success of a theme park.
- Analyze how an organization can gain a sustainable competitive advantage as opposed to a temporary competitive advantage or competitive parity.
- Understand the role of an alliance between client and supplier in making theme parks a success story.
- Conduct strategic analysis of a firm to exploit opportunities and minimize threats by leveraging strengths and diminishing weaknesses.
Arts, Entertainment, Sports and Recreation
China, Large, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download