China Eastern's World-Class Dream: Shanghai-Based Globalization
(8 pages of text)
As one of China’s top three major state-owned air transportation companies, China Eastern Airlines Corporation Limited (China Eastern) had built an international brand image with a global influence. With the airline’s unique Shanghai-based globalization, China Eastern’s strategy remained focused on expanding its global footprint. In the face of growing competition from domestic and international rivals, China Eastern strove to carry out cross-border business, strengthen its co-operation with partners in the aviation industry, and accelerate its globalization process. Over the past three years, China Eastern had introduced its “Pacific Plan” and made concerted efforts in expanding its route network and optimizing transit opportunities in the North American market. With the implementation of the Belt and Road Initiative (a global development strategy adopted by the Chinese government), what strategy should China Eastern use to continue to expand its Shanghai-based globalization?
This case can be used in undergraduate- and graduate-level courses on marketing. Students should have a basic understand of marketing development, brand management, and innovation. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Understand the purpose of China Eastern’s globalization strategy and why it remains the airline’s focus.
- Understand China Eastern’s history and background, brand development strategy, and strategy for pricing international flight tickets.
- Understand the characteristics of the airline industry in China.
- Explore China Eastern’s strategic advantages and disadvantages, domestic and international competitors, and global strategy.
- Understand China Eastern’s brand development in the North American market.
- Identify challenges and future business opportunities for China Eastern.
Transportation and Warehousing
United States; China, Large, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download