MarcPoint: Strategizing with Big Data (Simplified Chinese Version)
(9 pages of text)
As Shanghai MarcPoint Information Technology Co. Ltd. (MarcPoint) celebrated its fifth anniversary, its founder was quite pleased by what the company had achieved. MarcPoint was a start-up that offered marketing research services by analyzing user-generated content (UGC) with big-data technologies. The company had been successful and grown steadily since its inception in 2013. It was founded upon the realization that UGC was disrupting traditional marketing research and that big-data analytics provided the technological means to analyze the UGC efficiently and effectively. In 2018, the founder reflected on what MarcPoint’s next steps should be: What technologies should they pursue? Which markets could they target for growth in the next five years? Should they try to transport MarcPoint’s success to overseas markets? All in all, what needed to be done to sustain MarcPoint’s growth and maintain its leading position in the turbulent technical and business environment?
The case is mainly intended for use in upper-level undergraduate or graduate information systems (IS) courses such as IS strategy, information technology (IT) management, IT innovations, and IT entrepreneurship courses that involve discussions on how IT, in general, and big data analytics, in particular, can lead to competitive advantages. It can also be used in entry-level courses to introduce the concepts of big data and big-data analytics and to explain how IT alone cannot lead to competitive advantages. By working through this case, students will have the opportunity to do the following:
- Understand e-commerce growth in China over the last decade.
- Understand how big-data technologies disrupt marketing research, and appreciate, in a general sense, the disruptive power of information technology.
- Understand how big data analytics can lead to competitive advantages.
- Understand the complex relationships between big data and business, on the one hand, and big-data strategy and business strategy, on the other.
- Discuss how to make and execute a business strategy that utilizes a company’s strength in information technology, especially when the information technology is big-data related.
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
China, Small, 2018
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download