JD.Com: HR Management Challenges Arising from Rapid Growth and Transformation
(8 pages of text)
Between 1998 and 2018, JD.com Inc. (JD.com) transformed from a compact disc (CD)-burner shop into a technology-driven group of service companies (JD Group) and China’s largest retailer by revenue. Yu Long joined the Group in August 2012 as chief human resources (HR) officer and general counsel. Over the years, Long launched various initiatives to strengthen the HR team and improve its practices to support the Group’s rapid growth and transformation. This case describes the new challenges that faced the Group’s HR management committee headed by Long.
This case can be used in a graduate-level course on HR management, talent management, organizational behaviour, or enterprise in China. It defines the “strive to be the best” attitude of the founder of JD.com, follows the evolution of the JD Group, outlines the conceptualization and implementation of various HR improvement initiatives, and analyzes the results of these efforts. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Understand the role of HR during organizational transformations.
- Develop effective talent management approaches to support an organization’s rapid growth and transformation.
- Describe how to reorganize the HR team to match the rapid growth and restructuring of an organization.
- Explore how to revitalize an organization through new management mechanisms.
- Understand how to energize employees in an effective managerial environment.
China, Large, 2018
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download