JD.com (A): A New Chief Human Resources Officer
(5 pages of text)
In 2012, JD.com had emerged as the biggest business-to-consumer e-commerce retailer in China. The company’s founder and chief executive officer, Qiangdong Liu, realized that he had to strengthen the company’s internal management in order to sustain rapid growth. In 2011 and 2012, he recruited several chief officers, including Yu Long, who became JD.com’s chief human resources officer and general counsel. Case A describes the challenges Long faced when joining the company in August 2012 and invites students to think about what her priorities should be when tackling these challenges.
After working through Case A and B and the accompanying assignment questions, students will be able to do the following:
- Understand HR problems that can occur when a company grows very (or too) fast in an emerging market.
- Investigate the factors to consider when prioritizing actions to deal with a set of interrelated HR problems.
- Review a real-life example of consolidating culture.
- Explore how to internally build a talent pool and successor pipeline in a rapidly evolving business sector that constantly lacks talent possessing the newly required competencies.
- Examine a real-life example of reviewing talent.
China, Large, 2012
$5.30 CAD / $5.00 USD Printed Copy
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Permissions
$4.50 CAD / $4.25 USD Digital Download