Elon Musk: Saving the Fate of Tesla
(7 pages of text)
Case (Pub Mat)
In 2018, Tesla Inc. was one of the highest-valued automobile companies in the United States—despite never reporting profits. Although Elon Musk, the founder and chief executive officer of Tesla Inc., was appreciated for his vision, learning capabilities, active presence on social media, and dedication, he was also criticized for his leadership style and controversial tweets regarding the privatization of the company. Analysts and short sellers believed Musk’s narrative ability had caused Tesla Inc. to become overvalued and suspected that the company was actually on the verge of bankruptcy. Did Musk’s leadership do more harm than good? Would he be able to save Tesla Inc.?
The case deals with leadership issues and how shareholders shape these issues. It discusses how an individual manages knowledge from multiple streams of business. The case also discusses how leaders sometimes suffer from being active on social media. Finally, the case examines whether privatization can help a fast-growing company survive. After completing the case, students will be able to do the following:
- Understand individuals’ learning capabilities across multiple streams.
- Critically analyze leadership traits and how they affect business.
- Understand the role of a leader and the belief of investors in a leader’s competency with regard to the market valuation of a firm.
- Understand the pros and cons of the privatization of a listed firm.
- Critically analyze the social media activities of a CEO.
United States, Large, 2018
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download