Nilgai Foods: Positioning Packaged Coconut Water in India
(6 pages of text)
In June 2017, the two founders of Nilgai Foods Private Limited reintroduced Cocofly—a fresh, healthy, and pure coconut water—at the lowest price point among competing brands. The initial response to the product when it was first introduced in 2016 was overwhelmingly positive. However, the two founders were concerned in 2017 that Cocofly might be unable to sustain its success for the future. Some important questions were worrying the two founders: How could they avoid the commoditization of their product? How would they differentiate Cocofly from its competitors? Was price differentiation a sustainable strategy? What was the right marketing strategy for a market dominated by unorganized competitors and some early entrants? How should they expand their market across India, especially in the coastal cities of the country, where coconut water was readily available through unorganized companies?
This case is suitable for a graduate-level course on marketing or strategy. It is useful for highlighting the importance of product segmentation and positioning that ensure the proper implementation of an effective marketing mix strategy. After working through the case and assignment questions, students will be able to accomplish the following:
- Analyze the marketing mix strategy of a firm.
- Discuss the importance of a generic strategy to gain a competitive advantage.
- Analyze the basis of consumer segmentation in fruit-based drinks.
- Highlight the importance of positioning in influencing the overall marketing mix strategy of a firm.
- Evaluate various distribution strategies for a new fast-moving consumer goods product.
India, Small, 2017
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download